Legal Counsel IIJob Location Saint Paul, Minnesota Job ID 2020-11002 Apply
Partnering with business leaders, this position is responsible for supporting and advising on a wide range of legal issues related to the company’s sourcing and procurement units. The objective of the role is to assist internal stakeholders in advancing business priorities in the area of indirect sourcing while balancing and minimizing potential legal risks, considerations and liabilities.
- Provide guidance on a wide variety of transactional matters, including but not limited to: product development, professional services, procurement, technology sourcing, requests for information, requests for proposals, marketing, vendor agreements, supply agreements, service agreements, program/policy based initiatives, non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements, and other legal duties as assigned.
- Draft, negotiate, and review a diverse set of legal documents, including master service agreements, supply agreements, RFPs, technology sourcing agreements, including SaaS and IaaS, non-disclosure agreements, purchase agreements, professional and consulting services, etc.
- Provide legal guidance to enterprise-level functions and business leaders (e.g., human resources, finance, credit, information technology, etc.) on contract and legal interpretations, impacted risks and practical solutions to identified legal issues and areas of opportunity
- Participate in business development matters, which will include, as appropriate: effective issue spotting, strong drafting, detailed review, and front line communications. The position will be primarily transactional based in reviewing, drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide range of legal documents consistent with Company policies, philosophy, risk tolerances and practices. Will participate in direct stakeholder engagement and on occasion act as liaison with outside counsel as appropriate.
- Identify recurring issues and patterns associated with internal and external legal matters and areas of risk in Indirect Sourcing. Create and implement strategies to reduce liability and promote positive service levels with respect to client relations.
- Independently lead and manage a comprehensive and timely set of projects, responsibilities, or legal requests directly from internal stakeholders.
- Analyze issues, propose solutions, and engage senior legal advisors as appropriate.
- Prepare reports, summaries, or guidance with respect to matters of risk for management review related to Indirect Sourcing.
- Develop and maintain legal forms and templates and implement process improvements
- Manage outside counsel and related professional services
- Develop and manage contract management processes and assist in training on legal topics, policies, and procedures
- Adhere to Department service levels and manage projects and priorities as a self-starter in support of Sourcing and Procurement
- Provide attention to detail, timely responses, and prompt, accurate support and communications to Legal colleagues and leadership
- Stay informed of industry trends, developments in applicable regulations, and changes in product offerings and services or other related developments
- Juris Doctor required from an accredited law school and MN bar admission.
- 6+ years of relevant legal experience, with a combination of firm and in-house experience preferred.
- Licensed to practice law in state and federal courts in Minnesota
- Good drafting and analytical skills and an ability to advise a diverse range of clients.
- Self starter with proven ability to make independent and sound decisions with great communication skills, reliable judgment on when to seek guidance or subject matter expertise.
- Strong work ethic with a willingness to self-start and take the lead
- Excellent and demonstrated judgment and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize effectively and process a high volume of work timely
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong ability to build rapport and deal effectively with disagreements
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Patterson Companies, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status, among other factors.
Training and Development
Diversity and Inclusion
Jump in and see what it’s like to be a part of our team.
Patterson isn’t just a place to work, it’s a partner that cares about your success.
We’re excited that you’re interested in joining Patterson Companies. We offer a wide range of opportunities, and the hiring process may vary based on position. Learn how to submit a job application, and the typical evaluation processes used at Patterson, click here(This link opens a PDF file).
At Patterson Companies, we measure success by the strength of our relationships with our clients, customers and employees. From working with our partners to bring innovation solutions and provide best-in-class experience to our customers, to supporting employee volunteerism large and small, we’re committed to building strong connections to support the communities we live and work in. Learn more about our corporate responsibility, click here.
Be a part of a great organization with a special mission: to be the market leading dental and animal health company supplying technology, marketing, support and logistics to maximize customer success. We connect expertise to inspired ideas, products and services and create a relevant, memorable difference in the lives of our clients, customers and employees. To learn more about our Mission and Values click here.